Munyati Power Station

Munyati Power Station is situated five kilometers off the Harare-Bulawayo Road at the 183-kilometre peg. Built in stages between 1946 and 1957, the thermal station originally had a capacity of 120MW but currently operates at a capacity of 100MW.

Coal is railed from Hwange Colliery, about 618 kilometres away. The boilers are designed to burn “washed peas” coal.  Water is drawn from two sources: the Sebakwe River through a 23-kilometre long canal and the Munyati Weir through a 3-kilometre pipeline.

Munyati Power Station currently has a staff complement of 147 employees, most of whom are accommodated by the station. Because of the distance being a fair distance from other city centers has its drawbacks, the station has put in place excellent facilities for its staff, including a clinic for all employees and their dependents, a primary school for 600 pupils, a secondary school for 300 pupils, and a library.

In addition, there is a guesthouse; a sports club with facilities for most sports, including squash and bowling, a sports bar, and a beer hall.